Wednesday 17 March 2010

And so it begins...


                                Constructed Cherries  Series 4
                                           Wallpaper, made from waste foam, cut, dyed, embossed and pressed


It has been six years since I came to London from El Salvador and a lot has happened, namely; student-flat, gin-tonics, flatmates, friends, boyfriends, ex-boyfriends, textile design degree, first job, second job, first real job (the fun fed), husband, beautiful baby girl and Lunamano.

This blog refers to the latter and everything that feeds into it. Lunamano was born from my graduate dissertation. Research that really brought me closer to what the real deal is when it comes to worker's rights in the garment industry in El Salvador.

Learning that 75% of factories have closed down in the past decade as American owners moved to countries like India and China for cheaper labour and faster production was shocking. Learning that this left 50,000 unemployed Salvadorians was numbing. I feel a rush of blood even writing about it, and after 2 years and 6 months of intense field and academic research I decided to do something about it.

Hi, my name is Carolina and I am an idealist.

1 comment:

  1. I will be your first follower!
    Keep up the good work. It all looks great.
    I added a link of this blog on mine ok?

    ReplyDelete